(A Day) Through My Phone: Rianna + Nina
By now it seems quite natural to capture small slices of our everyday lives in pictures – it’s almost automatic. We took the occasion of MBFW Berlin as an excuse to ask some designers to make a point of it – and, of course, to share some exclusive insights into their daily work routine. One of those designers is Rianna Kounou from RIANNA + NINA.
1. Luckily, I can still work from our atelier with my select team of highly qualified master artisans in the fields of sewing, embroidery and cutting. In Berlin, we produce our one-of-a-kind designs, ready-to-wear collections and our latest capsule collection in collaboration with Swarovski – for this one, hand-selected vintage fabrics were enhanced with upcycled Swarovski crystals. The resulting one-of-a-kind, iconic pieces embody our truly defining passion for color and high standards in quality and manufacturing.
2. I have been curating vintage fashion, specializing in high-quality fabrics and designs from the 1920s through the late 80s, for about 30 years now. For this Flared Coat Exklusive Swarovski, vintage gobelin and jacquard fabrics were decorated with Matyó embroidery from the 1950s and enhanced with a selection of discarded crystals and pearls.
3. RIANNA + NINA embraces timeless and elegant fashion. Many of our pieces are one size and body inclusive, so every woman can emphasize her individual beauty. At our atelier, we work with made-to-order production that makes every design special to its owner – for lifelong joy.
4. The Flared Coat Exklusive Swarovski was finished in our Berlin atelier over the course of many days, working long hours to create this extraordinary artwork. Every embellishment and crystal was carefully hand-selected and sewn on. I found the inspiration for this very special design on my past trip to London while visiting the Natural History Museum. Concentrating on animal motifs and nature-inspired patterns, the collection thrives on art as well as references to nature.
5. Seeing a design being fitted for the first time is always very exciting. This collection in particular is very significant for me. The intricate handwork makes these pieces more than just luxurious fashion – they are a selection of the finest couture designs and truly wearable works of art that we are very proud to present at DER BERLINER SALON.
Rianna Kounou and Nina Knaudt, the two designers behind RIANNA + NINA, will show select pieces from their latest collection at GROUP EXHIBITION in DER BERLINER SALON × MBFW.
Find out more about RIANNA + NINA: